Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Reindeer Holiday Wreath

                                       
The front door on our new house is MASSIVE. The Christmas wreath I used last year simply wouldn't work, so I decided it was time to make something new. I concocted a vision for my new wreath, and I love how it turned out! It was also really fun to make.

First, I started out by making a reindeer head.  I used newspaper, cardstock, masking tape, and a Styrofoam egg.

                                             
I made the antlers by twisting the newspaper, and taping it into the shape I wanted.

 

I then added extra points to my antlers.


I took the foam egg and covered it with newspaper.

                                         
I taped on the antlers and the ears that I made out of thick cardstock.


I then used Mod Podge to smooth on more newspaper. This was slow-going, so my husband suggested doing paper mache instead. That method worked out much better. I paper mached newspaper all over the head, ears, and antlers to help smooth out the head.

                                      
Finally, I spray painted the head. I love how it turned out!

                                     
At a local craft store I found a foam wreath that would work for the size of our door. I wrapped it in ribbon, using dots of hot glue to secure it throughout.

                       
To make the bow I overlapped the ribbon, like so. ^

                       
I pinched the middle of the bow.

                      
I wrapped a little wire around the bow to help keep it secure, then folded some extra ribbon in thirds to wrap around the middle.

                       
I used hot glue on the middle of the bow to keep it together.


To secure the reindeer head I used hot glue and wire. I spray painted the wire gold before I used it so it would blend into the antlers better.

                                        
For the finishing touches I hot glued and wired on the boughs, and hot glued the bow on.

No comments:

Post a Comment